Grumman Aerospace Photographs Collection
The Grumman Aircraft Engineering Corporation was founded in Baldwin, New York, in 1929. As the corporation expanded, it relocated to Valley Stream and then to Farmingdale, before eventually settling in Bethpage. In 1969, it changed its name to the Grumman Aerospace Corporation, and in 1994 it merged with Northrop Corporation to form Northrop Grumman. Included among the products designed/manufactured by Grumman over the years are military and civilian aircraft, and spacecraft, including the lunar modules for the Apollo space program.
The collection is composed mainly of color and black and white 8 x 10 photographs that were taken during the time when the corporation was known as Grumman Aerospace. The majority of the photographs were taken during the 1970s and are of various U.S. Navy and U.S. Marines military aircraft. Also included are NASA photographs taken during Apollo space missions, photographs of aircraft made by companies other than Grumman, and photographs of illustrations and artists’ concepts of aerospace-related subjects. There are also a small number of photographs of emergency vehicles and a U.S. warship.