Hempstead Block-by-Block Photographs
In 1853, Hempstead became the first incorporated village in what is now Nassau County, New York. At the time of its incorporation, this centrally located area had already become an established mercantile center. It continued expanding over the years, eventually becoming home to hundreds of commercial enterprises as well as to a growing population of residents.
The collection contains one hundred and forty-seven 8” x 10” black and white photographs, all but four of which were taken on June 1, 1960, by Arthur Schwartz. The photographs, taken in a sequential block-by-block fashion, document buildings and businesses (mostly retail stores) on a number of Hempstead Village’s commercial streets, including Front, Main, and Franklin Streets, as well as Fulton Avenue.
Notable images include photographs of A.L. Frank’s retail store, opened in 1911 and later modernized five times, and the Hempstead Bank Building, built in 1909.
This collection was created with a grant from the Robert D.L. Gardiner Foundation.